This class includes Progressive Ballet Training, Classical Ballet training followed by 1 hour of Contemporary. Students in this class also participate in a choreography camp to learn a contemporary routine.
Estimated costume pricing is $85 including tights and accessories.
Half Soles($20-$35), ballet slippers($15-$22), pink tights($8) and a black leotard are required for this class.
Students have the opportunity to perform at 2 dance showcases, 1 recital, other optional events as presented to us such as assisted living centers, basket-ball half times, community events, 3 local competitions and 1 Utah competition.
KIMBERLEE YONKEArtistic Director & Competitive Coach
- *Demi Plie – half bend of the knee
- *Tendu – to stretch the foot
- *Degage – to disengage (sustaining pointed foot off of the ground)
- *Rond de jambe – round the leg, circular movement of the leg either on the ground or in the air
- *Eleve – to rise, to elevate
- *Releve – to rise from plie
- *Passe – a movement in which the foot of the working leg passes or touches the knee of the supporting leg in turn out or parallel positions.
- *Aerabesque – body position, in profile, supported on one leg
- *Pique – executed by stepping directly on the point or demi-pointe of the working foot in any desired direction or position with the other foot raised in the air. (to prick/pricked)
- *Sousus – a tight fifth position in releve.(under-over)
- *Saute – a jump off both feet, landing with the feet in the same position. Jumping or landing on the same foot.
- *Jete, petit – small spring from one foot to the other foot using a brushing motion.
- *Grand Jete – a leap from one foot to the other. Working leg stays straight as it brushes forward as supporting leg pushes off to assume.
- *Glissade – a traveling step executed by gliding the working foot from the fifth position in the required direction, the other foot closing to it.
- *Pas de chat – large cat’s step. Performed from fifth to fifth position, landing almost simultaneously.
- *Chasse – meaning to chase. Plie and slide the working leg away from the supporting leg, touch the supporting leg behind the working leg, land on the original supporting leg.
- *Soutenu – a turn from sousus, turning towards back leg one revolution, the other foot ending in front.
- *Sissone – jump from both feet on to one foot.
- *Pirouette – a complete turn of the body on one foot.
- *Grand Battement – working leg is raised from the hip into the air and brought down again, the accent being on the downward movement.
- (This is a basic coverage, more class terminology and skills are added as the class progresses)
Forward Rolls, Backward Rolls, Straddle Rolls, Dive Rolls, Handstands, Handstand Rolls, Handstand Snap Downs, Handstand Bridge, Bridge from floor, Bridge from standing, Bridge to standing, Cartwheels – left, right & one handed, Round Offs, Front Walkovers, Back Walkovers, Back Handsprings, Wedge Mat Skills, Balance Beam Skills and Mini Tramp Skills.